The “beauty shots” that chamber of commerce types prefer often do a disservice to the area itself, which has developed an interesting enough character on its own, drawing on far more resources than any chamber would contribute. The commercial district of Lenox is the victim of too many people with too many ideas of what looks good that it’s a wonder it still looks as good as it does. But it is beginning to resemble a giant board game with game pieces being represented by “sandwich boards” that are far more annoying than alluring. Anyway, here’s a handful of casual cell phone photos of Lenox village taken on April 29, 2016. Take another look at the same places in two weeks and the difference will blow your mind.
The founding of Lenox, MA
The founding of Lenox is described in the following excerpt from Rev. Clayton J. Potter’s “Historical Address” given at the Centennial Anniversary of the Dedication of the Old Church on the Hill, Lenox, Massachusetts, June 12, 1906.
“The Rev. Peter Reynolds of Somers, Conn., was one of seven men who had purchased from an inhabitant of Stockbridge who was an undesirable citizen, certain lands in that town, in order the community might be relieved of his further residence there. To compensate these men, the government gave them 4000 acres of uncleared land lying north of Stockbridge.
This tract covered all of what is now the present town of Lenox, and perhaps the township; and in the records of the time it was called the Ministers’ Grant, in as much as five of these men were ministers. (The implication, made in a history of the town, that this tract of land belonged to any Minister of the town by virtue of his office and that the title to it was commuted later to his obvious loss, is misleading.)”
Read the full text plus see other material.