The week leading up to the BSO’s Gala Opening Night July 8 holds some of the most anticipated events on the 2011 Tanglewood schedule. There will be four James Taylor concerts, including one with the Boston Pops and one in Ozawa Hall, two appearances of Mark Morris Dance Group with Yo Yo Ma and the Tanglewood Music Center fellows, and the 12th annual broadcast of A Prairie Home Companion, with Garrison Keillor.
Saturday June 25, 7 p.m. – Shed
- Earth Wind & Fire
Tuesday and Wednesday June 28 & 29, 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. – Theatre
- String Quartet Marathon
- Two 2-hour concerts each day
Tanglewood Music Center Instrumental Fellows offer their annual String Quartet Marathon, a series of four 2-hour concerts in the Theater Concert Hall dedicated to the wonderfully intimate chamber music genre.
Tuesday and Wednesday, June 28 & 29, 8 p.m. Ozawa Hall
- Mark Morris Dance Group
- Tanglewood Music Center Fellows
- Mark Morris, choreographer
- Yo-Yo Ma, cello
- Isaac Mizrahi, costume designer
- Phil Sandstrom and Michael Chybowski, lighting designers
- STRAVINSKY Symphonies of Wind Instruments
- New work (world premiere; BSO commission)
- STRAVINSKY Renard
- Falling Down Stairs
- J.S. BACH Suite No. 3 in C for solo cello, BWV 1009
Mark Morris Dance Group makes its annual appearance in two highly anticipated concerts, collaborating with Yo-Yo Ma and the TMC Fellows. The program includes three Morris works: the world premiere of a new work commissioned by the Boston Symphony Orchestra set to Stravinsky’s Renard; Frisson, set to Stravinsky’s Symphonies of Wind Instruments; and Falling Down Stairs, set to Bach’s Suite No. 3 in C for solo cello, BWV 1009.
Thursday, June 30, 8 p.m. Ozawa Hall
- James Taylor in Ozawa Hall
- James Taylor and guests
In the more intimate setting of Tanglewood’s Ozawa Hall, James Taylor offers the music that has made him one of the most beloved artists of our day.
Friday, July 1, 8:30 p.m. Shed
- James Taylor and the Boston Pops
- Boston Pops
- James Taylor, soloist
Tanglewood’s favorite singer joins “America’s Orchestra,” the Boston Pops, for a remarkable collaboration.
Saturday, July 2, 5:45 p.m. Shed
- A Prairie Home Companion at Tanglewood, with Garrison Keillor
- Live broadcast
Sunday, July 3, 7 p.m. Shed
- Monday, July 4, 7 p.m. Shed
- The Essential James Taylor
- Fireworks to follow the July 4 concert
- Proceeds from the July 4 concert to benefit Tanglewood
James Taylor returns to Tanglewood with his extraordinary band of musicians for two spectacular performances.
Tuesday, July 5, 8 p.m. Ozawa Hall
- Tanglewood Music Center Orchestra
- Miguel Harth-Bedoya, conductor
- Tanglewood Music Center Conducting Fellows
- Program to be announced
Tanglewood Music Center Orchestra opens their season with a concert led by Peruvian conductor Miguel Harth-Bedoya. Fellows of the Tanglewood Music Center will also conduct works on this program.
Thursday, July 7, 8 p.m. Ozawa Hall
- Mark O’Connor String Quartet*
Mark O’Connor String Quartetmakes its Tanglewood debut performing Mr. O’Connor’s own music, a fascinating blend of bluegrass, swing, and classical.
*connotes Tanglewood debut
**connotes Tanglewood and BSO debut
Tanglewood contact info.
- 297 West Street (Rt. 183)
- Lenox, MA 01240
- Box Office: 617-266-1200; 888-266-1200
- Website: tanglewood.org
How to get Tanglewood brochures
Tanglewood brochures are available by sending your request to CustomerService@bso.org.
Tanglewood driving directions
Hotels, B & B’s, Motels, and Inns near Tanglewood
- Canyon Ranch In The Berkshires
- Lenox MA Days Inn
- Knights Inn Lenox
- Econo Lodge Lenox
- Yankee Inn
- Howard Johnson Express Inn
- The Village Inn
- Hampton Inn Suites Berkshires Lenox
- Cranwell Resort Spa And Golf
- Wagon Wheel Motel
- Cranwell Resort Spa And Golf Club
- A B&B in the Berkshires
- The Red Lion Inn
- Stockbridge Country Inn