Jacob’s Pillow Dance Festival schedule for July 8–12, 2009 features Cedar Lake Contemporary Ballet, which will perform the world premiere of Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui’s Orbo Novo at 2.
Belgian-born Cherkaoui is known for his intensely eclectic movement style and a unique repertory that deals with cultural connections and divisions. Orbo Novo (New World) draws its inspiration from neuroanatomist Dr. Jill Bolte Taylor’s memoir My Stroke of Insight, in which she chronicles her scientific study of her own stroke. Orbo Novo is Cherkaoui’s first work created for an American company and features an original score by Polish composer Szymon Brzóska, performed live at the Pillow by the Mosaic String Quartet.
Cherkaoui also states that Orbo Novo searches for “the perfect balance between left and right, between heaven and earth…Or to quote Jill Bolte Taylor,” he comments, “I believe, that the more time we spend choosing to run the deep inner peace circuitry of our right brain hemispheres, the more peace we will project into the world, and the more peaceful our planet will be, and I thought that was an idea worth spreading.”
On Wednesday, July 8 at 5pm, Cherkaoui, Brzóska, and Cedar Lake director Benoit-Swan Pouffer will discuss the creation of the choreography and music for Orbo Novo in a free PillowTalk titled Previewing a World Premiere.
The Mosaic String Quartet is based in New York City and performs extensively for dance, collaborating on eclectic repertoire from Bartok to late Beethoven to commissions by living composers. Recent seasons have brought the MSQ to the Baryshnikov Arts Center, Joyce SoHo, St. Mark’s in-the-Bowery, and the James Cohan Gallery. Musicians include Jane Chung and Liza Zurlinden on violin; Tawnya Popoff on viola; Greg Hesselink on cello; and guest pianist Aaron Wunsch.
Jacobs Pillow and Ticket Information
Wednesday, July 8 through Saturday, July 11, at 8pm.
Saturday, July 11 and Sunday, July 12, at 2pm
- Tickets are $58, with discounts available for subscribers, seniors, students, and children age 16 and under. To sign up for Student Rush Ticket alerts, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Free Pre-Show Talks with Jacob’s Pillow Scholars-in-Residence are offered on Sommerspace at Blake’s Barn 30 minutes before every performance.
- Thursday, July 9, Cedar Lake Contemporary Ballet performers and/or artistic personnel will participate in a moderated Post-Show Talk, on stage immediately following the performance.
- Box Office hours: Monday through Saturday, 10am – 6pm, and Sunday 11am – 6pm.
- To purchase, call the Box Office at 413.243.0745 or order online at www.jacobspillow.org.
- Pillow Members receive exclusive benefits. To become a Member call 413.243.9919 x24.
Jacob’s Pillow is located at 358 George Carter Road in Becket, MA, 01223 (10 minutes east on Route 20 from Mass Pike Exit 2). The Jacob’s Pillow campus and theaters are handicapped-accessible.