An outline of the 2009 Jacob’s Pillow schedule has been announced by Ella Baff, Executive Director at the National Historic Landmark located in the Berkshires at Becket, MA. The 77th season of the Jacob’s Pillow Dance Festival starts with the annual Season Opening Gala on Saturday, June 20, and will run through August 30, 2009.
In addition to presenting performances of the world’s leading dance companies, Jacob’s Pillow also provides professional advancement opportunities for dancers. Every year Jacob’s Pillow assembles a faculty of distinguished international artists to present five distinct programs.
Anna-Marie Holmes, Milton Myers, and Chet Walker return as program directors. Rennie Harris directs a program focused on hip-hop; and Annie-B Parson and Paul Lazar, co-artistic directors of Big Dance Theater, direct the choreography program.
In additional to professional classes and rehearsals, program participants have access to the wealth of resources available on the Pillow’s historic campus including Festival performances, master classes, scholar-led talks, exhibitions, and study in the extensive Archives.
Alumni of The School at Jacob’s Pillow include Royal Danish Ballet artistic director Nikolaj Hübbe; choreographer Mia Michaels; and recent winner of FOX’s So You Think You Can Dance, Joshua Allen.
- Ballet: June 15-28, 2009 – Program Director: Anna-Marie Holmes
- Cultural Traditions – The Hip-Hop Continuum: June 29-July 12, 2009 – Program Director: Rennie Harris
- Contemporary Traditions: July 13-August 2, 2009 – Program Director: Milton Myers
- Jazz/Musical Theatre Dance: August 3-24, 2009 – Program Director: Chet Walker
- Choreographers Lab – Dance and Theatre Collaborations: August 25-September 2, 2009 – Program Co-Directors: Annie-B Parson and Paul Lazar of Big Dance Theater
Founded by the legendary Ted Shawn in 1933, Jacob’s Pillow Dance Festival occupies an 163-acre site that was originally a family farm in the late 1700s. In the 1800s, the Pillow was known as a station on the Underground Railroad. In 2007, it was formally dedicated as a site on the Upper Housatonic Valley African American Heritage Trail.
Jacob’s Pillow Dance
358 George Carter Road
Becket, MA 01223
Box Office Phone: 413.243.0745