The New England Tour of Shakespeare returns home to Shakespeare and Co. in Lenox, MA for a residency of 19 performances of William Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet at the Elayne P. Bernstein Theatre May 21 through June 7, 2009. More details of Shakespeare and Co.’s 2009 schedule.
Shakespeare & Company’s non-Equity production of Romeo and Juliet includes a 90-minute cut featuring a seven-member cast, each cast member taking on multiple roles. The focus is on a clear and powerful delivery of Shakespeare’s text. The production is modeled after Shakespeare’s own touring shows, which took to the countryside when the plague shook London and closed down the theatres.
The actors are Paul D’Agostino, Ben Brinton, Kaitlin Henderson, Alyssa Hughlett, Kelley Johnston, Sean Kazarian, Daniel Kurtz. Johnston, Kurtz, D’Agostino and Henderson also will appear in Toad of Toad Hall at the Rose Footprint Theatre this summer, directed by Director in Residence Irina Brook. Veterans of the New England Tour, Hughlett, Kurtz and D’Agostino also appeared in last year’s wildly popular touring production of A Midsummer Night’s Dream. Hughlett also appeared in S&Co.’s world premiere of The Canterville Ghost last fall, and Brinton played last summer in the world premiere of The Mad Pirate and the Mermaid at S&Co. The costumes are designed by Govane Lohbauer, with sound design by Jonathan Croy, and set construction and design by Ian Guzzone. Original music composed and performed by Marc Scipione.
Romeo and Juliet – At a Glance
- Production: Romeo and Juliet
- Theatre: Elayne P. Bernstein
- Written by: William Shakespeare
- Director: Jonathan Croy
- Cast: Paul D’Agostino, Ben Brinton, Kaitlin Henderson, Alyssa Hughlett, Kelley Johnston,Sean Kazarian, Daniel Kurtz
- Set Designer: Ian Guzzone
- Costume Designer:Govane Lohbauer
- composer:Marc Scipione
- Sound Designer:Jonathan Croy
- Performing:Previews: May 21-22 | Opens: May 23| Closes: June 7
- Phone: (413) 637-3353
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web: www.shakespeare.org
- Fax (credit card orders only): (413) 637-4274