Tanglewood Popular Artists 2017 schedule represents a roster of musical acts that, taken together, could be the answer to only one question, “Who is playing at Tanglewood this summer, besides the classical stuff?” The programming and marketing departments at Symphony Hall in Boston have attained a level of expertise at developing the Popular Artist series congruent with the world famous excellence of the Tanglewood Music Center, which is a prime beneficiary of revenue generated by each summer’s rock, pop, and jazz concerts in the Koussevitsky Music Shed.
James Taylor, Sting, Joan Baez, Chris Botti top Tanglewood concert roster
Returning for his nearly annual Fourth of July show will be James Taylor with his All-Star Band for performances on Monday, July 3, and Tuesday, July 4, 2017 each at 8PM. Another musician returning to Tanglewood, opening the series on June 17 along with Indigo Girls & Mary Chapin Carpenter, will be Joan Baez who has been headlining summer concerts in the Berkshires since the days of the legendary Music Inn, which produced her August 1963 concert at the Boy’s Club in Pittsfield, when she surprised her audience by introducing them to Bob Dylan.
The Boston Pops Orchestra has two dates included in this list, on June 24 with soloist Chris Botti and guest conductor Lawrence Loh, then close out the summer season Labor Day weekend with Melissa Etheridge, on Sept. 3. Sting makes his Tanglewood debut when he brings his 57th & 9th Tour to the Shed on August 29.
Tanglewood rock, pop, and jazz concerts summer 2017
- Joan Baez, Indigo Girls & Mary Chapin Carpenter | Saturday, June 17, 7PM
- “Jaws in Concert” | Sunday, June 18, 8PM
- Joey Alexander | Friday, June 23, 8PM
- Chris Botti and The Boston Pops Orchestra W/ Guest Conductor Lawrence Loh | Saturday, June 24, 8PM
- Boz Scaggs and Michael McDonald | Friday, June 30 7PM
- John Mellencamp with Emmylou Harris and Carlene Carter | Saturday, July 1, 7PM
- Natalie Merchant | Sunday, July 2, 7PM
- James Taylor w/ his All-Star Band | Monday, July 3, 8PM
- James Taylor w/ his All-Star Band | Tuesday, July 4, 8PM
- “Sondheim on Sondheim” | Saturday, July 8, 8PM
- Tanglewood on Parade | Tuesday, August 1, 2PM
- “John Williams’ Film Night” | Saturday, August 19, 8PM
- An Evening with David Sedaris celebrating the release of his new book “Theft By Finding” | Sunday, August 20, 8PM
- Sting – 57th & 9th Tour | August 29, 8PM
- Diana Ross | Wednesday, August 30, 7PM
- Avett Brothers | Friday, September 1, 7PM
- The Boston Pops with Melissa Etheridge | Sunday, September 3, 2:30PM
Tanglewood tickets, : box office info.
Tickets for the 2017 Tanglewood season go on sale January 29 starting at 10 a.m. through Tanglewood’s website, www.tanglewood.org, SymphonyCharge at 888-266-1200, and at the Symphony Hall Box Office at 301 Massachusetts Avenue, Boston MA.
Hotels near Tanglewood
Find hotels near Tanglewood with user reviews, check amenities, nearby attractions, availability and then book your room reservations at these lodging establishments through our partner, International Hotel Solutions (IHS), the leading provider of secure online hotel reservations.
Getting around the Tanglewood campus
The Tanglewood campus, summer home of the Boston Symphony Orchestra and the Tanglewood Music Center comprises several hundred acres in the towns of Lenox and Stockbridge. It is the location of the Koussevitsky Music Shed and Ozawa Hall, where hundreds of thousands attend concerts and a variety of events, including picnics. We always advise new visitors to arrive early and take their daily walking exercise wandering the beautiful Tanglewood grounds. This dynamic map of the Tanglewood grounds includes photos and information for such points of interest as Aaron Copland Library, Highwood Manor House, The Glass House, and The Lion’s Gate.