Phil Woods, Freddie Bryant, Greg Caputo headline Jazz weekend in Lee, MA
Phil Woods, Freddie Bryant, Greg Caputo headline the Berkshire Gateway Jazz Weekend, in downtown Lee, July 25-28. Berkshires Jazz, Inc. and Berkshire Gateway Preservation, Inc. have teamed-up to bring a full weekend of marquee performers, a jazz documentary film, and appearances by local jazz musicians to the town. Concert schedule opens at 6pm on Thursday, July 25 with the screening of “A Life in E Flat,” a biographical profile of the legendary alto saxophonist, NEA Jazz Master and 4-time Grammy winner Phil Woods. Through a special arrangement with Jazzed Media, producers of jazz films and CDs, the screening at the Lee Library on Main Street is free and open to the public.
Tickets for these two concerts, $25 each, or $40 for both, are on sale at the Chamber of Commerce information booth in downtown Lee; at Qwik Print, Great Barrington, and Wood Brothers store in Pittsfield and online at www.BerkshireGatewayJazz.com. Information at 413-243-1033.
Berkshire Gateway Jazz Weekend schedule Lee, MA July 25-28, 2013
- Thursday, July 25, 6pm. Phil Woods bio-pic, “A Life in E Flat.” Lee Public Library. Free, sponsored by Jazzed Media.
Friday afternoon, July 26, 2-4pm. “Jazz in the Alley” with the Berkshire Jazz Collective, featuring Andy Wrba (WOOr-bah) and other musicians from the area. Free.
- Friday evening, July 26, 8pm. Freddie Bryant and Kaleidoscope. First Congregational Church, 25 Park Place. ($25. Or, both Thursday and Saturday concerts for $40)
- Saturday, July 27 “Jazz in the Alley” resumes at noon, with an outdoor art exhibit, plus a concert featuring a quintet of local jazz performers (including Rich Vinette, Stan Pyrzanowski, Josh Kleederman, Jack DiNicola and Ted Murray).
- Saturday, July 27, 1pm: Andy Kelly’s Jazz Ambassadors, a roaming New Orleans-style group, will be strolling downtown in various locations along Main Street, kicking off at Baja Charlie’s and finishing in the alley next to Spectrum Theatre.
- Exhibit: A Retrospective featuring artist John Lawson. Good Purpose Gallery, 40 Main St., Lee. Reception: Saturday July 27, 5-7 pm. Live music by Steve Dietmann and the Jazzmen Band.
- Saturday, July 27, 7:30pm. Greg Caputo Big Band, “Benny Goodman to Gordon Goodwin.” With special guest Phil Woods. First Congregational Church, 25 Park Place. ($25. Or, both Thursday and Saturday headline concerts for $40)
- Sunday July 28, Jazz Brunch at the Starving Artist Creperie, 40 Main St. 11am-1pm. Free.