Lee, Mass was settled in 1760, as Dodgetown, then incorporated in 1777 as Lee. Formed from parts of Great Barrington and Washington, it was named after General Charles Lee. For a while, it looked like Prime Outlets would be a big deal, or destroy retail in downtown, but it’s been a wash – as Bezos/amazon has rendered mall and mainstreet retail practically obsolete.
The town was also famous for the quality of its marble, with the first quarry established in 1852. Almost 500,000 cubic feet of marble was excavated and shipped in 1867 on the Housatonic Railroad. Buildings constructed of Lee marble include a wing of the United States Capitol building and St. Patrick’s Cathedral in New York City.
Lee, MA facts and map:
- Town Hall: 32 Main St.
- Phone: (413) 243-2100
- Population: 5,985
- Settled by: Cape Cod natves and CT Yankees
- Settled/Incorporated: 1760/1777
- Elevation: 888′