Article by Dave Read.
Arlo Guthrie founded the Guthrie Center in 1991, housing it in the former Trinity Church made famous by the song The Alice’s Restaurant Massacree and the movie Alice’s Restaurant. It is located on Van Deusenville Road in Housatonic, a census-designated place (CDP) in the town of Great Barrington, MA. Established as an Interfaith Church, “dedicated to all those around the world who believe that there is one truth and infinite ways to approach it.”
Arlo Guthrie providing a place to bring together individuals for spiritual service, as well as cultural and educational exchange founded the Guthrie Center, an Interfaith Church, in 1991. The Trinity Church where the song “The Alice’s Restaurant Massacree” began and where the movie “Alice’s Restaurant” was filmed, continues to service the local and international community.
Originally built as the St. James Chapel in 1829, the structure was enlarged in 1866 and renamed Trinity Church. Ray and Alice Brock purchased the property in 1964 and made it their home. The building has had several owners since the early 1970s.
Guthrie Center contact info.
- 2 Van Deusenville Rd,
- Great Barrington, MA 01230
- Phone:(413) 528-1955
- Web: guthriecenter.org