The Berkshire county town of Clarksburg, located on the scenic and historic Mohawk Trail, combines all of the benefits of rural living with an excellent elementary school (K-8), sufficient land available for development, and direct access to the urban amenities of nearby North Adams, Mass. The town recently created three areas for industrial development and intends to aggressively promote them to relieve the present basically residential tax burden.
Captain Matthew Ketchum, Colonel William Bullock, and Nicholas Clark are credited with having originally settled the eventual township in 1769, and the latter ultimately became Clarksburg’s namesake. The town began as a mostly agrarian community, with mills springing up along the waterways in the nineteenth century. The major mills were one to make cashmere, and several mills supplied gunpowder during the Civil War. However, the industry was stopped by the town after one of the mills exploded in 1869. (from wikipedia.)
Clarksburg, MA facts:
- Town Hall: 111 River Rd.
- Phone: (413) 663-7940
- Population: 1,686
- Settled/Inc’d: Capt. Ketchum, N. Clark/1769
- Named for: Nicholas Clark’s family
- Elevation: 1,000′