Update: Bob Dylan at Tanglewood July 2, 2016.
Bob Dylan has an association with the Berkshires that spans the five decades of his career and includes a couple of events at the apogee of all Dylan fan’s “wish-I’d-been-there” list, even though there have been only four Bob Dylan concerts in Berkshire county. For concerts, there were two Bob Dylan shows at Tanglewood, July 4, 1991 and August 4, 1997 then two of his minor league ballpark shows at Wahconah Park in Pittsfield, June 23, 2005 and August 26, 2006.
The other two Bob Dylan appearances in the Berkshires were August 14, 1963 when he was Joan Baez’s unannounced guest at her concert at the Boy’s Club in Pittsfield and November 7, 1975 when Dylan and the Rolling Thunder Revue spent the day at Mama Frasca’s Dream Away Lodge in Becket.
Bob Dylan at Tanglewood – 1991 & 1997
The Tanglewood concerts of 1991 and 1997 were light years apart in Dylan’s performance and demeanor. Although he was uncharacteristically chatty during the first one, which set a Tanglewood attendance record of 20,516, he raced through an 18 song set in a manner that got the gig listed on Dylan Pool (defunct website) in response to the request, “What was your worst Bob Dylan concert?”
The 1997 concert was just his second after recovering from a near-fatal heart infection. He was his usual laconic self, nattily-clad in a shiny blue western suit, and did an abbreviated set of 13 songs, notable for an especially fine rendition of “Tangled Up in Blue,” and for the omission of “All Along the Watchtower,” which Dylan had sung at every concert since 1992. The opening act that night was BR5-49, whose multi-instrumentalist Donnie Herron is now a member of Dylan’s band.
Bob Dylan concert reviews and articles by Dave Read
- Bob Dylan at Tanglewood July 2, 2016 July 2, 2016 Tanglewood concert review by Dave Read It was a night of biblical proportions at Tanglewood, a concert by Bob Dylan that was a revelation, following a set by Mavis Staples that was a revival. The revelation is that some 55 years into his career, by remaining true and not wavering from his original ...
- Bob Dylan appears with Joan Baez at Boy’s Club Pittsfield, MA May 11, 2016 Article by Dave Read Bob Dylan first performed in the Berkshires on August 17, 1963 as Joan Baez’s unannounced guest at the Boy’s Club in Pittsfield, one of three Berkshire Music Barn concerts that were held in Pittsfield that year to accommodate a larger audience than the Music Barn’s Lenox facility could. (The ...
- Bob Dylan concert review – Pittsfield, MA August 26, 2006 Bob Dylan concert review – Pittsfield, MA Aug. 26, 2006 Wahconah Park show on minor league ballpark tour, with Jimmie Vaughn, Junior Brown, Elana James.
- Bob Dylan concert review – Wahconah Park, Pittsfield, MA June 23, 2005 Review Bob Dylan’s concert at Wahconah Park, Pittsfield, MA during his 2005 tour of minor league ball parks. This was Dylan’s first performance in Pittsfield since appearing as Joan Baez’s guest in a 1963 concert at the Pittsfield Boy’s Club.
- Bob Dylan’s Rolling Thunder Revue party at Mama Frasca’s Dream Away Lodge Interview with a friend of Mama Frasca who hosted Bob Dylan and the Rolling Thunder Revue at her Dream Away Lodge in Becket, MA on Nov. 7, 1975 during the first leg of the Rolling Thunder Revue tour of New England.