Tanglewood in the Berkshires
Tanglewood is the summer home in the Berkshires of the Boston Symphony Orchestra. It is located on 250 acres in Lenox and Stockbridge, Massachusetts. The campus combines the former Tanglewood and Highwood estates, which originally served as summer cottages for the Tappan and Ward families of Boston.
We have posted a brief overview of the 2014 Tanglewood schedule.
The name comes from Tappan family friend Nathaniel Hawthorne, who wrote Tanglewood Tales during his brief residence (1850-51) in a little red cottage overlooking Stockbridge Bowl on the Tappan estate. The 210 acre estate was given to the Boston Symphony Orchestra by the Tappan famiy in 1937; the BSO acquired the adjacent Highwood estate in 1986, where it built Seiji Ozawa Hall, and renamed the property after Leonard Bernstein.
- 297 West Street (Rt. 183)
- Lenox, MA 01240
- Box Office: 617-266-1200; 888-266-1200
- Website: tanglewood.org
2013 Tanglewood concert reviews
- Watching Andris Nelsons conduct
- Beethoven Symphony 9 at Tanglewood
- Wizard of Oz with Boston Pops at Tanglewood
- Beach Boys at Tanglewood, Aug. 18, 2014
- Emanuel Ax Alexander Nevsky Tanglewood Aug. 15, 2014
- Tanglewood on Parade Aug. 5, 2014
- Lizzie Borden opera at Ozawa Hall Tanglewood
- Verdi delights at Tanglewood July 27, 2014
- Andris Nelsons Tanglewood program with Joshua Bell Beethoven’s Fifth
- Andris Nelsons era at Tanglewood begins
- PBS film of Yo Yo Ma and the Silk Road Ensemble at Tanglewood
- Monty Alexander Trio at Tanglewood
- Beethoven’s Ninth closes BSO’s 2013 Tanglewood season
- Yo Yo Ma’s Goat Rodeo Show at Tanglewood
- Tan Dun’s The Map, with Yo Yo Ma at Tanglewood