Tanglewood grounds map
The name Tanglewood was coined by Nathaniel Hawthorne who wrote Tanglewood Tales in 1850 while living in a small cottage on the estate of William Aspinwall Tappan. In 1936, his descendant Mary Aspinwall Tappan donated the estate to the Boston Symphony Orchestra (BSO). In 1938, the Koussevitzky Music Shed was constructed, with some 5,100 seats; two years later, conductor Serge Koussevitzky initiated a summer school for approximately 300 young musicians, now known as the Tanglewood Music Center. The Shed was renovated in 1959 to improve its acoustic characteristics. In 1986 the BSO acquired the adjacent Highwood estate, increasing the property area by about 40%. Seiji Ozawa Hall was built there in 1994. Read more: 2013 Tanglewood schedule.
View Tanglewood at 75 in a larger map