By Dave Read
One of the most advisable things to do in the Berkshires during March 2012 would be to attend the concert to begiven by the Blind Boys of Alabama on March 25 at the Mahaiwe Performing Arts Center in beautiful downtown Great Barrington. Following is our review of their 2002 concert there, which includes video of their performance of Amazing Grace. Review of the Blind Boys of Alabama at the Mahaiwe in Gt. Barrington. Otherwise, there is the usual shoulder season variety of exhibitions, “Live in HD,” concerts and The Learned Ladies is running through March 25 at Shakespeare & Company in Lenox.
Berkshires bus and Amtrak train schedules
We’ve posted a comprehensive page containing contact information for Peter Pan, Greyhound, and Bonanza bus stations and Amtrak train depots in the Berkshires, and maps and timetables for getting around the Berkshires via BRTA “B bus” (Berkshire Regional Transportation Agency).
Barrington Stage Company March 2012 schedule
Barrington Stage Company will present film series of American movie musicals
Barrington Stage Company will present film series of American movie musicals on the big screen at the Mainstage, at 30 Union St., Pittsfield, MA. The series consists of An American in Paris, Singin’ in the Rain, Oliver!, Cabaret, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, My Fair Lady, Funny Girl, and West Side Story, and runs January 28 through April 26, 2012. Tickets: $6 adults; $10 adults for double feature; Free for youth 13 and younger. BSC has created a Movie Madness Pass to all seven events (including the double feature!) and is available for just $35 – a 24% savings off the full price! All ticket handling fees are waived for the Movie Musical Series.
- Saturday, March 10 at 2:00pm – Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory Gene Wilder stars as the ‘candy man’ Willy Wonka based on the Roald Dahl children’s fantasy.
- Thursday, March 22 at 7:00pm – My Fair Lady (Academy Award Best Picture 1964) Lerner and Loewe’s enchanting musical adaptation of Shaw’s Pymaglion stars Audrey Hepburn and Rex Harrison.
Barrington Stage Company tickets contact information
- Mainstage: 30 Union Street – BSC Stage 2: 36 Linden Street (Pittsfield VFW)
- Box Office: 413-236-8888 – Administration: 413-499-5446
- Website: barringtonstage.org
Berkshire Museum March 2012 schedule
- Exhibition – Beyond the Landscape, sculpture by Bryan Nash Gill – through May 28, 2012
- Exhibition – Taking Flight: Audubon and the World of Birds – through June 17, 2012
- ExhibitionMorgan Bulkeley: Bird Story – March 4, 2012
- Berkshire Museum Little Cinema schedule:
- March 2-4, 2012 – 7PM March 5 1:30PM- Declaration of War
- March 4, 2012 – 12:00PM – A Trip to the Moon + The Extraordinary Voyage
Berkshire Museum tickets contact information
- 39 South Street, Pittsfield, MA 01201
- Mon.-Sat. 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.;Sun. 12 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- Closed Memorial Day, July 4, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year’s Day
- Berkshire Museum
Berkshire Theatre Festival March 2012 schedule
- March 17 – 8pm – The Unicorn Jay Ungar & Molly Mason
Berkshire Theatre Festival tickets contact information
- PO Box 797, Stockbridge, MA 01262
- Box Office – 413-298-5576 ext. 33
- website: BerkshireTheatre.org
Clark Art Institute March 2012 schedule
- Exhibition – Clark Remix – Opened Feb. 12, 2012
- Exhibition – Copycat: Reproducing Works of Art – through April 1, 2012
- March 1 – 2pm – London’s National Theatre:Live in HD:The Comedy of Errors
- March 4 – 3pm – Duo Recital by Edward Arron, Cello, and Jeewon Park, Piano
- March 9 – 7:30pm – London’s National Theatre:Live in HD:The Comedy of Errors
- March 11 – 3pm – Lecture – Beneath the Surface:A Master Painter Examines the Clark’s Nymphs and Satyr
- March 30 – 2pm – London’s National Theatre:Live in HD:She Stoops to Conquer
Clark Art Institute tickets contact information
- 225 South Street – Williamstown, MA 01267
- Galleries open daily – Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s Day.
- web: clarkart.edu
Colonial Theatre March 2012 schedule
Travis Tritt – Saturday, March 10, 2012 – 8pm
Tickets: A: $75 B: $65 C: $40 (limited balcony)
Travis Tritt comes to The Colonial to perform music from his multi-platinum musical career. His most recent album, The Storm was produced by Randy Jackson, of American Idol fame. He has a string of platinum albums and Top Ten singles, including five number–one hits, “Help Me Hold On,” “Can I Trust You With My Heart,” “Foolish Pride,” “Anymore” and “Best of Intentions.” He is currently traveling the country on his solo-acoustic tour, giving audiences an intimate musical experience, and telling stories in a rare and personal atmosphere.
Irish Comedy Tour – Thursday, March 15, 2012 – 7:30pm
The Irish Comedy Tour takes the party atmosphere of a Dublin pub and combines it with a boisterous, belly-laugh trio. The clover—make that clever—comedians, whose ancestors hail from the h3erald Isle, include Detroit native Derek Richards; Boston-born Mike McCarthy; and from Dublin, Ireland Keith Aherne. Buy tickets early—this evening of comedy mixed with Irish songs packed the Colonial last year!
Danú – Friday, March 16, 2012 – 8pm
Tickets: A: $40 B: $30 C: $20 (limited balcony)
Danú is at the forefront of the traditional Irish music scene. Their standing room only concerts throughout Ireland feature high-energy performances and a glorious mix of ancient Irish music and new repertoire. For over a decade, Danú’s virtuosi players, on flute, tin whistle, fiddle, button accordion, bouzouki and vocals, have performed around the globe and recorded seven critically acclaimed albums. Danú takes its audiences on a musical journey to their native Ireland, offering a moving and mh3orable concert experience.
Sandy Hackett’s Rat Pack Show – Saturday, March 24, 2012 – 8pm
Tickets: A: $45 B: $30 C: $20 (limited balcony)
This spirited tribute, already seen by over 1,000,000 people, re-creates one of the famous “Summit at the Sands” hotel shows at a time when the “Rat Pack” was creating hipster legend with a no-holds-barred nightclub act starring Vegas’ favorite sons: Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis, Jr., Dean Martin and Joey Bishop. Uncanny vocal re-creations of hits like “That’s Amore,” “Fly Me to the Moon,” “Mr. Bojangles,” unbridled humor and a live big band will send audiences straight back to one of the coolest times in history.
Ahmad Jamal – Saturday, March 31, 2012 – 8pm
Tickets: VIP: $50 (prh3ium seating) A: $35 B: $25 C: $15 (limited balcony)
How long is a musical career? When the music comes straight from the soul, a career lasts a lifetime… and that lifetime transcends time. Ahmad Jamal is a true-blue American Jazz master and musical legend with six decades of musical validity and counting under his belt. Stand up, and listen hard.
The Colonial Theatre tickets contact information
- 111 South St. – Pittsfield, Mass 01201
Mahaiwe Performing Arts Center March 2012 schedule
Local filmmaker and performance artist, Sanjiban Sellew, has been entertaining audiences near and far for nearly 25 years. Sanjiban films, energetic, bold, and sometimes downright odd, are made with courage and vision, beholden to no one’s expectations but his own. Sanjiban has been diagnosed with brain cancer. We invite the community to join together to celebrate Sanjiban with an afternoon of a selection of his films and writings and to show our support for a true son of the Berkshires. Reception immediately following at Castle Street Cafe, complimentary hors d’oeuvres, cash bar. Sunday March 4 at 3pm
Advance Tickets are available at Triplex Cinema, Studio Day Spa, Tune Street, The Snap Shop, and The Mill River Store, or at the Mahaiwe on the day of the show.
- March 1 – 7pm – London’s National Theatre Live in HD – The Comedy Of Errors
- March 4 – 3pm – Konkapot Big Boys Present A Sanjiban Celebration – A fundraiser in support of Sanjiban Sellew
- March 9 – 7pm – Fast Times At Ridgemont High
- March 10 – 7pm – Pink Floyd:The Wall
- March 11 – 7pm – Poltergeist
- March 24 – 6pm – CEWM – Grand Piano Quartets: Schumann and Brahms
- March 25 – 7pm – Blind Boys of Alabama
- March 29 – 7pm – She Stoops to Conquer
Mahaiwe Performing Arts Center tickets contact information
- 14 Castle Street – Great Barrington, MA 01230
- Box Office: 413-528-0100
MASS MoCA March 2012 schedule
- March 1 – 7:30pm – Sing Your Song (Susanne Rostock, 2011)
- March 3 – 8pm – Delicate Steve
- March 10 – 8pm – Justin Townes Earle with Richard Buckner
- March 16 – 8pm – Double Irish: Susan McKeown & Michael Brunnock
- March 24 – 8pm – Chunky Move
- March 25 – 3pm – Chunky Move
MASS MoCA tickets contact information
- 87 Marshall St.; North Adams, MA 01247
- Fall, Winter, Spring Hours: 11:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m. closed Tuesday
- Phone: 413.MoCA.111
- Web: massmoca.org
Shakespeare & Company March 2012 schedule
- The Learned Ladies – through March 25, 2012 – Elayne P. Bernstein Theatre
- Fri & Sat.@ 7pm – Sat. & Sun.@ 2pm
- By Molière
- Directed by Tina Packer
Shakespeare & Company tickets contact information
- 70 Kemble Street
- Lenox, MA 01240
- phone: 413-637-1199